MY EXPERIENCE AND OUTLOOK
I have over 20 years experience working with people in distress and/or with mental health issues. For the past 8 years I have been working as a CBT psychotherapist focusing on anxiety and depression. More recently I have been specialising in working with trauma using EMDR. I am an accredited CBT and EMDR therapist and am currently working towards accreditation as an EMDR Consultant.
In the past I was employed in areas requiring a social work qualification working extensively with people who were experiencing a number of difficulties in their lives. These often resulted in high levels of distress leading to psychological problems such as anxiety and depression sometimes as a result of traumatic early life experiences. My work then, and now, involves enabling people to make sense of their lives as well as their behaviour so that they can start to make changes and move forward towards a more fulfilling lifestyle. What motivates and encourages me in my work as a psychotherapist and counsellor is hearing from clients that our work together has resulted in them regaining their lives and in some cases it has been life changing.
My work as a psychotherapist can be either on an open-ended basis or for an agreed time period but I am committed to providing a psychological intervention in a safe, confidential and non-judgemental environment.
PROBLEMS THAT I WORK WITH
* PTSD - post traumatic stress disorder. This can be the result of being involved in an accident, being the victim of physical and/or sexual violence or difficult early life experiences such as bullying or neglect;
* Anxiety - this can take many forms such as:
- health anxiety;
- panic disorder;
- social phobia/anxiety;
- GAD (generalised anxiety disorder);
- specific phobias including vomit phobia;
- OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder);
- BDD (body dysmorphic disorder):
* Depression and low mood:
* Bereavement and Grief:
* Low self-esteem:
* Internet Addiction:
My accreditation and qualifications are:
* Accredited EMDR Practitioner - (www.emdrassociation.org.uk);
* Supervision of CBT, University of Surrey;
* BABCP Accredited CBT Practitioner - (www.cbtregisteruk.com);
* Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Intervention (CBT), University of Surrey;
* Diploma in Humanistic Counselling, Roehampton Institute, London - An Institute of the University of Surrey;
*Accredited HCPC (Health & Care Professionals Council) - (www.hcpc-uk.org);
* Diploma in Social Work, DipSW, University of East Anglia;
* MA in Social Work, University of East Anglia;
* BA double Hons, Social Anthropology, University of East Anglia;
If you would like to know more about my qualifications and experience then please do ask.
I abide by the Codes of Ethics of the above organisations.
I have professional insurance for my work.